Supporting Pink Ribbon Appeal Day

GREER MCDONALD
Last updated 08:51 14/10/2011

Much has been said about how the Breast Cancer Foundation gets the most support because it's a "sexy" cancer.

Dressing up in pink is nice and palatable, and women's' cleavage is an area of the body that's easy to promote and discuss.

So why should money go to a charity that already gets so much coverage?

Millions of dollars have been raised over the years to increase awareness of a disease that affects one in nine women because of the fantastic work by the New Zealand Breast Cancer Foundation.

But that doesn't mean the work stops.

More than 650 women will still die from the disease this year - making it the leading cause of cancer-related death in females. That's so many more people dying than the annual road toll which receives huge amounts of coverage.

Yes, many other people will die from other cancers (there are around 22 cancer deaths each day) but if you're a woman in New Zealand, you're twice as likely to be diagnosed with breast cancer than the next highest cancer in women, bowel.

One of the best things about the annual campaign run by NZBCF is the push towards being body aware. Taking notice of what is "normal" for your body means you have a higher chance of noticing issues which may lead on to cancer - any cancer - and early detection is key for surviving many of these.

Every day in New Zealand around 51 people are diagnosed with cancer. More than 2600 new cases of breast cancer can be expected this year including approximately 20 men who will be diagnosed.

For Pink Ribbon Appeal Day today Stuff's logo has changed and staff have gone pink - in attire and baking - to raise money for the New Zealand Breast Cancer Foundation.

Stuff editor Mark Stevens said the site had a history of supporting the Pink Ribbon Appeal and the wider issue of breast cancer awareness.

"It's a very worthwhile cause to support and I urge all our readers to get behind it and donate generously," Stevens said.

To take action against breast cancer this month, The New Zealand Breast Cancer Foundation wants women over 20 to be breast aware and go to the doctor if they notice any changes. If they are 40 years or over, they urge women to go for regular screening mammograms.

The funds raised during Breast Cancer Action Month will help fund vital research into breast cancer in New Zealand, as well as the education, awareness and community outreach programmes that the New Zealand Breast Cancer Foundation supports.

The New Zealand Breast Cancer Foundation has created a viral advertising campaign called Save Seven - a series of seven beautiful stories of hope told by NZ women with breast cancer.  To view them, visit www.saveseven.co.nz

For information about other activities during Breast Cancer Action Month, visit www.takeaction.org.nz

- Stuff

Rose   #1   09:59 am Oct 14 2011

I am an avid supporter of Pink Ribbon Day and always will be . It is a worthy cause that should be supported by all

Lee   #2   10:08 am Oct 14 2011

I am a big supporter of Pink Ribbon Day, my mother & some other family members died of breast cancer & i had a breast cancer scare earlier on this year.They do a great job.

hb   #3   10:41 am Oct 14 2011

SAVE THE BOOBIES!!! This is my fave charity, I've even got them in my will for $50k to get donated when I kick the bucket! Pink Ribbon Charity ride is being held all around the country on sunday. It looks to be the biggest year yet for Wellington!

LB   #4   10:58 am Oct 14 2011

Well put, and absolutely agree. It is scary how common breast cancer is.

I am proud to say I have just done a collection at my office, and am heading down to queen st in Auckland to collect shortly.

Please support us, every donation counts!

Chris   #5   11:02 am Oct 14 2011

More awareness nees to be raised about the fact Men can get this too. Yes the majority of cases are women but that doesnt exclude the fact we dont widely acknowledge it affects men as well.

Hayley   #6   11:08 am Oct 14 2011

I am dressed literally head to toe in pink right now. Pink flower in my hair, earings, top, cardi, rings, skirt, tights, heels - and pink lippy, eyshadow and streak in my hair. Plus the little pink ribbon to show I've donated. Everyone at my work is wearing pink for breast cancer today - I've gone the whole hog

Kaye   #7   11:31 am Oct 14 2011

We just did a collection at work and raised over $300!! Stoked!!

Dean   #8   11:47 am Oct 14 2011

My wife died of BC 4 months ago. We always supported this and I still do. WIMA are holding a ride on Sunday, I'll be there. I cannot stress enough to woman, check check check, and then re-check!

maddy   #9   12:36 pm Oct 14 2011

Your logo doesn't look very pink to me. Oh, on the homepage.

Jo   #10   01:19 pm Oct 14 2011

From all of us at the NZBCF: Thanks for all your wonderful support!

We have all been out collecting today and are blown away by the warmth and generosity of so many of you.

Please take a look at www.saveseven.co.nz - beautiful stories of hope from some amazing women - and pass them on to all your friends!

Jo