Largest aftershock since July

SHAHRA WALSH
Last updated 06:50 20/01/2013

Relevant offers

Christchurch earthquake

Councils can't force seismic strengthening, court says Christchurch quake memorial plans revealed Limited space for Christmas cheer in caravan Dyers Pass Rd reopens Desperate woman in EQC limbo Resilience plan may risk too much talking Teen's quake piece to have abbey debut 'Jerky' quake rattles Canterbury The art of urban exploration Flashes expose quake-building intruders

Last night Cantabrians were shaken by the largest aftershock to hit the region since July of last year. 

The 4.6 tremor (initally reported by Geonet as 4.7) struck at 9.15pm, and was centred 15km west of Christchurch, at a depth of 10km. 

The shake was the strongest aftershock experienced in the region since a 4.8 quake on July 6, 2012. 

The quake caused a flurry of online traffic that overloaded Geonet's website, and many took to social media to comment. 

A Twitter user said, "Well that one got me out of my chair. I think I'm out of practice."

Another user outside of Christchurch tweeted, "That was a goodie Chch felt that in Ashburton - very out of practice. Heart just calming down."

There were no reports of damage or injury. 

Ad Feedback

- The Press

Comments

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content