Five red-zoned property owners who have agreed to sell their homes through the Government's buyout offer have become the first to have their settlement dates extended.
Canterbury Earthquake Recovery Authority (Cera) chief executive Roger Sutton called the five residents today to tell them they had been given more time.
Each of the property owners had met the criteria for an extension based on a variety of health and vulnerability-based reasons, and their new timeframes varied depending on their individual needs.
Sutton said so 147 flat-land property owners have asked for changes to their settlement date through the case-by-case extension process.
''I have a team specifically looking at each case and working with the property owners to ensure we have all of the information we need to consider the requests," he said in a statement.
It was possible that not everyone would meet the criteria and Cera needed to take a ''very thorough look'' at each case.
Those who received approved extensions today would now be able to formally alter their settlement dates through their lawyers.
Other property owners who still wanted to request an extension needed to apply by Friday, except those in Southshore and South New Brighton, who had until July 19, and Port Hills property owners, who had until January 31, 2014, to return a signed sale and purchase agreement.
Requests could be made by calling 0800 RING CERA or through the Residential Red Zone section of Cera's website at www.cera.govt.nz.
- © Fairfax NZ News