Man acquitted of sex attack on prostitutes

DAVID CLARKSON
Last updated 13:37 23/06/2014

Relevant offers

Crime

Private Business, Public Failure: Inside Our Prisons Group refused entry to bar before Christchurch car park brawl Ronald Edward Growcott, 90, sentenced on historic sex charge Perpetual Guardian client manager Robert Thomas Clark admits theft 13 arrests made at Auckland's Christmas in the Park, despite low turnout Hamilton cops seek help in attempted toddler abduction case Passing muster: The struggle to fix our sick, bloated, 'stinking' prisons Former naval officer who was raped wants compensation and culture change Woman found dead at Upper Hutt home, as police hunt for up to four men 86-year-old woman terrified after house blasted with shotgun fire

A man charged with the kidnap, rape, and sexual violation of two Christchurch sex workers has been found not guilty by a jury.

The 29-year-old Nelson man, Daniel Juan Daly, who has been on trial in the High Court at Christchurch for the past six days, was convicted only of assaulting one of the sex workers.

Justice Rachel Dunningham remanded him on bail for sentence on that charge on August 14.

She thanked the jury members for their work on a difficult trial.

"Your job is now done and you are free to return to your normal lives," she told them.

They had deliberated for six hours on the original 13 charges. One sexual violation charge was dropped on Friday, after they asked a question about the evidence relating to it, and they reached not guilty verdicts on 11 more charges today.

Justice Dunningham asked for a pre-sentence report, including a report on Daly's suitability for home or community detention, and a victim impact statement from the sex worker.

All charges had related to alleged incidents in Christchurch on the night of January 24, 2013, involving two women he had met for sex.

Daly acknowledged that sex had taken place, but denied that the violent offending occurred. The court heard of a dispute about the amount of money offered and then paid for the sex.

The Crown alleged he had unlawfully detained the first woman, sexually violated her, and assaulted her using a knife. The jury returned not guilty verdicts on all those charges.

The charges involving the second woman alleged rape, several counts of sexual violation, unlawfully detaining her, and assaulting her. The jury found that only the assault charge was proved, and acquitted Daly on the rest.

Both women gave evidence during the trial, and recordings of their interviews with police - in which they made the allegations - were played to the jury.

Matt Dixon and Moana Cole of the Public Defence Service appeared for Daly.

Cross-examined by Dixon, the second woman told of agreeing to have "rough sex" with Daly. She then said: "Obviously our definitions of rough sex are different."

Daly gave evidence denying there had been any knife used, and denying that the violence had taken place.

Ad Feedback

- The Press

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content