Landlord sentenced over woman's death

ROBERT KIDD
Last updated 16:32 25/06/2014

Relevant offers

Crime

'I think he's killed the kids,' screamed Dunedin mum as she fled armed ex 'Dangerous' man wanted for assault on fishermen Search for man over Ti Point Wharf assault Government declines inquiry into convictions of Peter Ellis Man charged with indecent behaviour to appear in court Matthew Stevens murder accused in Wellington court North Island motorbike thefts investigated Man admits bashing police officer at child's birthday party Man accused of ramming police car released on electronic bail Facebook argument leads to attack

A Northland landlord whose shonky DIY work caused a fire that killed a 19-year-old woman has been given a six-month sentence of home detention.

In February last year Lesley Wehi-Jack rented a Ruakaka house from Peter McLeod in which he had personally installed a gas cooker - work that has to be done by a licensed gasfitter by law.

The connection to the cooker leaked gas. When Ms Wehi-Jack returned to the house on Waitangi Day last year and turned on an electrical switch, the gas exploded and engulfed the house in fire.

She later died from the burns she suffered.

McLeod pleaded guilty to failing to take all practicable steps to ensure that the cooker was installed safely.

Today he was sentenced to home detention at the Whangarei District Court and ordered to pay reparation of $5000.

Energy Safety manager Mark Wogan says Lesley Wehi-Jack's death was completely avoidable and a tragic waste of a young life. 

"Peter McLeod is a registered drainlayer. He knew that the work should have been done by a gasfitter. He must now live with the consequences of his actions, as sadly must Ms Wehi-Jack's family. 

Wogan said the onus was on property owners to regularly check the safety of gas and electrical installations and appliances in premises they rent out, particularly between lets.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content