Date set for cocaine sentencing

DAVID CLARKSON
Last updated 11:22 26/06/2014

Relevant offers

Crime

Jury to ponder memory evidence at trial for alleged historical sexual abuse Jackson: Crime, burglaries and how failed politics impacts your community Bulging prison population prompts fast-tracked building of new units Murder-accused Troy Taylor says his 'conscience kicked in' too late to save Ihaka Stokes' life Fisherman charged with stalling says locals tampered with his nets Car drives wrong way down Auckland motorway during police chase Teen's allegation of abuse by former rugby coach disputed by defence Man sentenced for lewd photo Marlborough Girls' College student threatened outside gates, later attacked Jamie Te Hiko found guilty of partner's murder

A date in Christchurch has been set for the sentencing of a Brazilian man who has admitted possession of cocaine for supply.

The Crown had been considering whether Thiago August De Oliviera, a 31-year-old factory hand, should be sentenced in the High Court or the District Court, and whether the case should be sent to Auckland where his alleged co-offenders are being dealt with.

One man caught in the police's Operation Grenoble drugs bust already been pleaded guilty in Auckland in April and been jailed for six years.

De Oliviera pleaded guilty on June 5. He appeared on remand before Judge Brian Callaghan in the Christchurch District Court today, but no decision had been made.

Judge Callaghan decided the case needed to be progressed "in the interests of justice" and set the sentencing for July 30 at a Crown sentencing session in Christchurch.

Two other Christchurch men arrested are being dealt with separately.

Ad Feedback

- The Press

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content