Pora not gagged - Parole Board
Teina Pora has not been "gagged" but told authorities he did not want to speak to media, the Parole Board says.
Pora, who was jailed for the 1994 rape and murder of Susan Burdett in her South Auckland home, was granted parole in March pending his appeal to the Privy Council, with the special condition that he not contact the media "directly or indirectly".
TV3 journalists Eugene Bingham and Paula Penfold published a piece in yesterday's Sunday Star-Times saying Pora had been "gagged" by authorities.
The Parole Board responded today saying that it wished to clarify how the no-media clause came about.
Parole Board chairman Warwick Gendall QC quoted from Pora's parole decision which said the board was "particularly concerned about external issues and pressures that would fall upon Mr Pora by reason of media exposure and interest".
Pora was "not able to withstand media and publicity which would inhibit his successful reintegration", the decision said.
A no-media clause was inserted to which Pora and his lawyer consented.
The decision said "Pora himself [said] that he did not want to talk to the press".
Gendall said the board's stance was "one of openness and transparency where it can".
Pora will appeal his case to the Privy Council in London in November.
The Dominion Post