Man who left tot outside strip club admits attack

Last updated 05:00 02/07/2014
Wayne Ricardo Schwamm
Wayne Ricardo Schwamm

Relevant offers


Son's kidnapping inspires fresh start for meth addict Trial for three men, two youths charged with murdering Craig Rippon begins Conviction over false rape complaint following sex with minor Four-year-old injured after stealing lollies from Invercargill dairy, police say Marlborough man charged with sexual violation, intentional damage Top defence lawyer calls for more art in courts Money and relationship pressures linked to mother's violence Tania Hopping, convicted of horrific 1992 child manslaughter, admits assault on husband Private investigator busts courier driver's tobacco thefts Marlborough man charged with threatening to kill police family members

A Feilding man who once infamously left his baby in a car while visiting a Wellington strip club has been sent to prison for a late-night sexual attack on a Palmerston North woman.

Wayne Ricardo Schwamm, 46, was to stand trial next week on charges of sexually violating a 22-year-old woman in 2009.

He was arrested in 2011 after police discovered forensic evidence linking him to the attack.

In the Palmerston North District Court yesterday, Schwamm changed his plea to guilty and was sentenced to four years in jail.

The plea change came after a sentencing indication before Judge Barbara Morris.

At 3.30am on May 27, 2009, the woman was walking along Fitzherbert Ave in Palmerston North, Morris said.

Schwamm walked past her before turning around, grabbing her from behind, putting his hand over her mouth and dragging her into bushes opposite the Fitzherbert Castle Motel.

He then sexually violated her before fleeing.

He was not given a three strikes warning for violent offending, as the attack took place before the law was created in 2010.

Schwamm left his 18-month-old child in a car while he went to Splash Club in Courtenay Place in 2010. He had said he went to pick up a stripper friend, but stayed in the club when she was unable to finish work at that time.

It is understood the child had been left alone for about 40 minutes before a passer-by noticed the toddler locked in the back seat and called police.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content