Teen girls' attack on video

Last updated 14:15 02/07/2014

Relevant offers

Crime

Cause of fire at Porirua siege house a mystery, except for 'fresh' food clue Teen charged with Asian student attacks escapes from Auckland courthouse Invercargill cat killer sentenced to supervision Hearing impaired man didn't know why police were arresting him Aggravated robbery at bank in Petone, Hutt Valley Taranaki teen pleads guilty to assaulting partner as he tried to help her Former All Black Troy Flavell pleads guilty to drink driving Legal and not-so-legal Kiwi car culture has been in the spotlight 'since the 70s' Police release image of man wanted for questioning over Napier sexual assault Police acknowledge claims of 'professional incompetence'

A video of drunken teenage girls kicking their Dunedin victims has been taken down by YouTube, as police investigate a second, possibly related attack in the city.

Annalise Cooper, 19, Tae Flavell, 19, and Makayla Spiers, 18, copped a 10-minute bashing from a group of six or seven alleged assailants, all believed to be aged 15 and 16 years, in Dunedin on Saturday night.

Police were aware of a video of the attack being posted on YouTube and were investigating.

The 14-second clip, now removed ''as a violation of YouTube's policy prohibiting content designed to harass, bully or threaten'', had surfaced on Facebook.

Police were also gathering information about a second incident.

Senior Sergeant Mark Crawford said details of the assault were being pieced together.

He did not know if investigators had interviewed the alleged offenders, but envisaged witnesses and other lines of inquiry would be pursued first.

That included information the assailants may have been involved in another incident earlier the same night.

''We're looking at the possibility the group [of assailants] was connected to a previous incident,'' Crawford said.

''They may or may not be related to an incident at a party earlier in the night.''

Police attended the assault on Cooper, Flavell, and Spiers, after receiving calls from one victim and members of the public between 10.20pm and 10.40pm on Saturday, Crawford said.

Two of the women required medical treatment. One suffered a broken ankle in the attack and extensive bruising, as well as being punched in the face. The other suffered concussion and minor injuries.

The victims told the Otago Daily Times the video had left them feeling disgusted.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content