Stalking murderer jailed

03:42, Jul 03 2014
Karl John Eddy
SENTENCED: Karl John Eddy.

An Auckland man who stalked and then brutally murdered his ex-girlfriend has been jailed for life with 17 years before he can apply for parole.

Karl John Eddy, 39, was sentenced in the High Court in Auckland today for the murder of Alicia McCallion, 23, on December 12, 2012.

McCallion, known as AJ, was found stabbed to death in the sleep-out behind her parents' Papakura home.

McCallion's father Peter told the court Eddy's actions were like "a terrorist attack on our family".

Peter said he viewed himself as a failure for not being able to protect his daughter from people like Eddy.

"I would gladly give away the rest of my life if AJ could have 30 more years," he said.

Her mother Millicent McCallion said her daughter was "creative, shy, friendly and generous".

She said the family had welcomed Eddy into their lives.

"Look what you did to repay us - you killed our beautiful Alicia," she said.

McCallion said she had flashbacks to finding her murdered daughter on her bedroom floor.

Grief hit her in waves and she felt "battered and bruised as a mother".

"I have never hated someone before as it's against my beliefs," she said.

"But I confess to God that I hate you Karl John Eddy."

Justice Rebecca Ellis imposed a life sentence and said the only question was what his minimum non-parole period would be.

Prosecutor Nick Williams said Eddy's crime was aggravated by the brutality of the attack with a weapon, the fact that it involved the invasion of a home, and Eddy's "stalking" of Alicia before the murder.

Williams said Eddy had made threats to McCallion, including on Facebook, and then planned the murder.

She was beaten and stabbed and her throat was "sawed at" with a serrated knife, cutting her almost from ear to ear, he said.

Defence lawyer Marie Dyhrberg, QC, argued that it was not a calculated murder and "execution" was not an appropriate word to describe the killing.

Justice Ellis said Eddy killed his former girlfriend after she broke up with him and he was forced to move out of the sleep-out she lived in behind her parents' house.

Eddy did not take the break-up well and begged to be taken back.

On the night of the murder he went to her home and entered the sleep-out in the early hours of the morning.

The evidence showed McCallion was punched and then stabbed in the abdomen several times.

A serrated knife was dragged back and forth across her throat with considerable force and McCallion dropped to the floor without breaking her fall, the judge said.

McCallions' blood was on Eddy's hands and he left a fingerprint in her blood on the door as he left.

The judge said Eddy made an "amateurish" attempt to create an alternative reality by taking McCallion's phone and texting himself from it, trying and put the blame on someone else.

He threw the murder weapon out the window of his car and police found it after he called an associate from prison and told them they could find a "thing" in some trees near the Papakura motorway off-ramp.

Eddy's DNA was found under McCallion's fingernails and her blood was found in Eddy's mother's car.

The judge said Eddy had previous convictions for violence, threatening to kill, and male assaults female.

Despite Eddy's claims of someone stalking McCallion and his attempts to deflect the blame, the judge said there was not a degree of planning to the extent that would trigger the Section 104 mandatory 17-year minimum non-parole.

The murder also did not have the extreme brutality or callousness required to trigger the section, Justice Ellis said.

Despite this, the aggravating features of the offending required an uplift and the judge imposed a 17-year minimum independently of the legislation.