Man made 'deals' with boys for sex

A father-of-three has been handed an eight-year jail term for sex offending with four boys that involved gifting them money or a scooter, or plying them with alcohol and cannabis.

The 41-year-old man was described as cunning and manipulative in a psychiatric report prepared for his sentencing by Justice Cameron Mander in the High Court at Christchurch today.

"You knew these boys would be easy targets due to their upbringing and lack of family support," Justice Mander said.

He considered imposing a term of preventive detention, which would have kept the man in prison until the authorities believed he no longer posed a risk.

In the end, he decided the point had not been reached where preventive detention was appropriate. The sex offender, who works in the transport industry, was willing to undergo treatment. He also accepted an extended supervision order after his release.

The man has name suppression. Some of the victims were family members.

He has a history of similar offending and was jailed for three years in 1995. He had boys staying overnight after he befriended them while working at an amusement centre in the North Island.

He continued to offend even after Child, Youth and Family and the police became concerned.

"Your conduct during this period is identified in the specialist reports as an obvious demonstration of your inability to control your sexual impulses."

He said the effects of the man's offending were likely to be damaging and long-lasting on the victims. He was seen a high risk sexual recidivist.

The offending involved the man getting one 15-year-old intoxicated with alcohol and cannabis. Other boys were given $40 to $50 - or in one case a $150 scooter - in "deals" for sex.

As part of the jail sentence, the judge imposed a non-parole term of five years.

The man had pleaded guilty to charges of sexual violation by unlawful sexual connection, sexual connection with a young person, sexual connection with a dependent family member, doing an indecent act with a young person, committing an indecent act on a dependent family member, and possession of an objectionable publication.

A computer memory stick was found with images and video of some of the sexual offending.

Crown prosecutor Kathy Bell said that preventive detention was appropriate in this case because of the risk the man posed to the community. Previous rehabilitation programmes had not been successful, and in some cases he had not taken advantage of the treatment offered.

The Crown saw his offending as premeditated and calculated in terms of the people the man had targeted over a long period. He had continued to offend after the initial offending came to light.

Defence counsel Bridget Ayrey argued for a finite prison sentence to be imposed. Although the man had been described in the reports as cunning and manipulative, this was at odds with the way in which the offending came to light.

While he was "on the radar" of Child, Youth and Family and the police, he had then thrown himself on the mercy of the police and the court to make very full confessions. The man was unwell, there had been a suicide attempt, and his actions could be seen as a cry for help.

The man was given the first of the three strikes, under the system which imposes heavier penalties on repeat violent or sexual offenders.

The Press