Former high-flier pleads not guilty

MATT NIPPERT
Last updated 15:48 14/07/2014

Relevant offers

Crime

Rapist terrorises disabled women in their own home Police looking for witnesses after serious assault in Auckland's Panmure Police arrest teens after early morning Tawa burglary Nelson Bays district police area calls in help to cope with 'serious crime' investigations Child-rape case jury to resume deliberations on Monday Fog machine foils attempted burgalry of Masterton petrol station Matila Illia-Neemia jailed for raping 71-year-old woman in her own home Police arrest two men in connection with knife attack on Porirua dairy owner Man shoots at police in Northland, steals police car, leads chase down country The Kim Dotcom saga is returning to court

Controversial former high-flier Jamie Peters has today pleaded not guilty to charges brought by the official assignee that he breached the terms of his bankruptcy.

Peters, who as an Auckland developer once held a place on the NBR Rich List, was bankrupted in 2009 with debts totalling more than $180 million.

The official assignee sought to extend Peters' bankruptcy last year, but the application was denied by the High Court in Auckland.

Peters claimed the application was "motivated primarily by a wish to punish him," and Associate Judge David Abbot said the official assignee's case was "cirumstantial".

The official assignee is appealing this decision, and in the meantime has charged Peters in the

Auckland District Court with managing a business while bankrupt, making untrue statements to creditors and concealing property.

Peters' lawyer, David Chisholm QC, said the charges were being contested and his client had pleaded not guilty.

Chisholm said a date for the appeal and the trial had not yet been set.

Ad Feedback

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content