Woman charged over alleged stabbing

BLAIR ENSOR, MYLES HUME AND DAVID CLARKSON
Last updated 12:52 31/07/2014
Stabbing in Tuam St
John Kirk-Anderson/Fairfax NZ

INVESTIGATION ONGOING: Police have cordoned off a section of Tuam St in Christchurch after an alleged stabbing last night.

Sonja Russell
Facebook
ACCUSED: Sonja Russell appeared in Christchurch District Court today charged with intentionally causing grievous bodily harm.

Relevant offers

Crime

Weapons found after supermarket stoush Racist Facebook attack on teen Motelier complains of 'sadistic' policeman Restorative justice helps victim's family to recover Work and Income in Blenheim ram-raided and set on fire Christmas presents stolen from under the tree Firefighters pelted with bottles Man charged with extorting sex pics from children Teenager shot in Auckland Bernard Kevin McGrath extradited to NSW to face 252 child sex assault charges

A 24-year-old woman has been denied bail over a charge relating to a stabbing in Christchurch last night.

Sonja Russell appeared in Christchurch District Court today charged with intentionally causing grievous bodily harm to a 25-year-old man.

He required surgery at Christchurch Hospital yesterday for a 2.5-centimetre stab wound to his abdomen.

Police opposed Russell's release on bail, saying their inquiries were continuing and an examination of the alleged crime scene was not complete.

Officers have cordoned off a house on Tuam St in Christchurch's central city, where the alleged incident took place about 7.30pm last night.

Police told the judge the man had been stabbed as he got in to a car outside the house, after a series of verbal confrontations between him and Russell.

Duty lawyer Vicki Walsh said Russell asked for bail because she was the caregiver for two children, and she was able to live at another address away from where police were making inquiries.

Judge Alistair Garland considered the bail application and then remanded Russell in custody without plea for an appearance by video-link from prison on August 21.

MAN 'IN COMFORTABLE CONDITION'

A Canterbury District Health Board spokeswoman said the man was in a comfortable condition and recovering in the general ward.

"We have got a team down at the scene at the moment and a staff member will be heading to the hospital shortly to speak to the gentleman," Worner said.

He expected the man to be discharged later today or tomorrow.

Neighbours say there are regularly six men, two women and five young children living in the house.

One resident said the tenants regularly held parties and this week alone they had been partying since Monday.

Another neighbour said they had laid about 50 noise complaints to the council over the property.

Ad Feedback

- The Press

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content