Double Auckland shooting blamed on ex-boyfriend
An ex-boyfriend has been officially named chief suspect in the double murder of Glenys Stanton and her new partner Trevor Waite in South Auckland.
Police confirmed John Mowatt would have been charged with murder over the killings on August 23 last year, if he was still alive.
Mowatt took his life in Woodhill Forest near Helensville on August 28.
Police had previously stated there was a "strong inference" that Mowatt was involved in the murders.
"We're just at the point now where we're able to say that we believe that he (Mowatt) was the one responsible, officially," a police spokeswoman said.
The recently-completed police investigation concluded Mowatt would have been charged with the murders of both Waite and Stanton, who were shot and killed in their bedroom.
A police statement said the case has been independently reviewed by the Office of the Auckland Crown Solicitor, who concurred the case against Mowatt was "strong".
The deaths of Waite and Stanton will now be referred to the Auckland Coroner.