David Bain not guilty

Last updated 18:04 05/06/2009

David Bain post-verdict press conference

Bain verdict: Not guilty

Murder on Every St Part 1

Murder on Every St Part 2

Murder on Every St Part 3

Murder on Every St Part 4

VICTORY: David Bain and Joe Karam outside court after today's not guilty verdicts

Related Links

David Bain compensation considered Police respond to David Bain verdict Timeline of Bain case David Bain retrial gallery The Bain family High cost of the Bain fight David Bain verdict photos Bain: Coming to a verdict No escape from Bain case Verdict 'about time' Full David Bain coverage Video: Murder on Every St David Bain trial on Twitter David Bain slideshow

Relevant offers


Rise of sex predator female teachers: 'This is no Romeo and Juliet romance' Aggravated robbery at Waikato petrol station Woman stabbed in neck near Manurewa RSA in Auckland Jonathan Milne: Like 'em or loathe 'em, Destiny Church pastors are teaching prison inmates to take responsibility Serco bans Brian Tamaki's son-in-law from South Auckland prison SAS calling for 'integrity' in wake of Afghanistan death revelations Parents and newborn baby intercepted in desperate boat bid to reach NZ, detained in Indonesia My sweetheart the murderer: Kiwi falls in love with American prisoner serving life without parole Pre-employment drug testing shows increase in meth use by professionals Asylum seekers locked up in Auckland prison – New Zealand's own Manus Island

David Bain has been found not guilty on all five counts of murder and is free to go home.

The jury in New Zealand's most sensational trial has found David Bain not guilty of murdering his family 15 years ago after five hours and 50 minutes of deliberations.

Outside court an emotional David Bain thanked his supporters, particularly Joe Karam.

"Without Joe and his solid strength ... I wouldn't have made it through this far," Bain said.

"Joe's been there through everything for me".

The seven women and five men returned to the High Court in Christchurch about 4.45pm and delivered the not guilty verdict on all five murder charges.

Cheering from the gallery greeted the verdict.

Karam said the truth had, "finally fallen where it has always been". He went on to blame "various authorities" for allowing the case to drag on so many years.

The trial would go down as the “criminal trial of New Zealand’s history”, Karam said.

“What has really mattered is the truth - as I said 13 years ago [and it] has finally fallen where it has always been.

“Unfortunately due to the attitude by various authorities that has caused this thing to last to 2009 and put this poor man here, what he’s been through…”

Karam said Bain had been an “innocent man beaten down by a while lot of myths and legends.”

“There’s nothing more than smoke with no fire.”

Michael Reed QC thanked David. “He is totally overcome. Freedom is not there yet, it has not dawned on him.”

He said the trial never should have gone ahead. “Millions have been spent… it is quite a tragedy really.”

Ad Feedback

He said without doubt David should apply for compensation, but “that’s something in the future.”

Inside the court, the jury forewoman read out the not guilty verdicts for each of Bain's family members. Each verdict was greeted with cheers and applause.

Bain met the verdicts calmly, smiling broadly at his supporters. He then went straight into a room, where he was described as being very emotional.

Karam mouthed a thank you, as did Michael Reed QC Bain's lawyer.

As the judge left the room, further clapping broke out and more cheering and laughter could be heard.

Bain, 37, who had been charged with shooting his parents Robin, 58, Margaret, 50, and his three siblings Arawa, 19, Laniet, 18 and Stephen, 14, on 20 June, 1994, heard the verdict from the dock after a 13 week retrial.

His convictions for the murders after a four week trial in Dunedin in 1995 were overturned by the Privy Council in May, 2007, and a new trial was ordered. He was about 13 years into a 16-year non-parole sentence when the convictions were quashed. He has been on bail since May, 2007 after being in custody since June 24, 1994.

The trial has captured the public imagination like no other trial in New Zealand's history. Television coverage of the verdict today matched the media flurry attracted by President Clinton's visit in 1999.

About 50 media personnel were at the High Court to cover the verdict which was a mass of cameras, high profile journalists and support staff.

The trial has presented a classic whodunnit and implied much more serious questions about the police and the New Zealand justice system.

- Stuff

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content