Safe house for abused men opening

21:12, Nov 15 2009

One of New Zealand's first safe houses for men affected by domestic abuse is about to open in Gisborne.

Women's Refuge signed tenancy agreement papers for the men's respite centre - expected to be operating before Christmas - last week, the Gisborne Herald reported.

The community housing home will offer temporary accommodation for men who needed to stay away from their partner or children while the family addressed violence in their home.

Gisborne refuge branch manager Vi Pirini said the centre would make the healing period for families "less traumatic for all parties".

Up to four men at a time would be able to stay at the centre for a temporary period. Further support would be available through a close link with a recently developed men's resource centre.

Ms Pirini said men would be hired to run the centre, based at a residential address, under an Oranga Tane, Oranga Whanau arm of the refuge.

Advertisement

NZPA