Boy, 15, stabbed at skate park

Last updated 12:00 22/03/2010

Relevant offers


South Canterbury man convicted of 45th driving while disqualified charge Teen faces preventative detention for sex abuse of child during hide-and-seek South Canterbury man sentenced after advertising cannabis plant on Facebook Fairlie man who attacked taxi driver and police officer jailed 'Guardian angel' protects Arrowtown drink-driver after getting stuck in river Dealer admits 27 charges after police analyse 3000 text messages Porirua police chase ends as police car and fleeing car slam into poles Corrections auditing transport fraudster Joanne Harrison, after finding she worked there Farmers fined for effluent discharge Three ewes 'shot in the guts and then left to die' in Canterbury

Police are calling for witnesses to come forward after a 15-year-old boy was stabbed at a skate park in Palmerston North.

The stabbing came after two groups of young people clashed about 3am yesterday at the Church St skate park. Two boys, aged 14 and 16, have been arrested and charged in connection with the incident. They are due to appear in the Youth Court in Palmerston North today.

The victim had injuries to his back and arm and was treated at Palmerston North Hospital.

Police completed a scene examination yesterday morning.

Detective Glen Jackson said police wanted to hear from more people who witnessed the fight between the two groups. Teenagers tended to dissipate quickly with the arrival of police, but they could still have important information to pass on, he said.

Incidents involving young people at night seemed to occur with "startling regularity", he said.

Street Van co-ordinator Lew Findlay said he had noticed young people behaving more aggressively.

He felt the problem was getting worse, but not the number of young people involved.

Police said earlier this month that violence and the number of young people in The Square late at night were concerning, but police were working with community groups to combat the problem.

After an attack in The Square on March 7, Senior Sergeant Sue O'Neil said it was ultimately parents' responsibility to keep tabs on their children and make sure they were safe and at home.

Maori wardens and police had picked up children as young as 12 roaming the city streets at night.

Ad Feedback

- Manawatu Standard

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content