YouTube bomb threat charges shame student's family
A south Auckland secondary school student accused of making bomb threats against the Government is seeking name suppression so his Muslim family avoids the "extreme shame" the charges bring.
The 18-year-old Fijian-born student appeared in the Manukau District Court today after allegedly making threats in a YouTube video.
The threats, posted online earlier this month, included claims that explosives had been hidden in New Zealand Government buildings.
The video also said Government and media websites would be hacked.
The man has been charged with threats of harm to people and property.
Duty solicitor Nicole Smith sought interim name suppression for the student.
She said his extended family had not yet been notified and because the family was Muslim, the charges would "bring extreme shame to the family."
Smith said the student's mother and father were in court and were "very upset".
Judge Ellis granted name suppression until the boy was able to get legal aid but said he would need solid grounds for it to be further suppressed.
Smith also requested the student be given access to the internet for NCEA while at school and under the supervision of a teacher.
She said without it he could fail his assessments.
Judge Ellis said the court would require clear evidence that supervision and monitoring was available before he would grant access.
"Because up until now there has been no supervision of access at all."
He said the student was not to have any access to the internet by computer or any other multimedia device.
"I am warning you that if you breach that, there will be more severe limitations on your liberty... If your family are here I hope they hear that and exercise some effective supervision."
Judge Ellis said the allegations the student faced were serious and losing internet access was a minor consequence.
"We are facing a small liberty of his rights... He is not in the final stages of a PhD is he?"
Acting Detective Inspector Pete Jones of Counties Manukau CIB says police drew on the expertise of the National Cyber Crime Centre and the Electronic Crime Laboratory to find the student.
"Such threats are taken very seriously by police and this investigation demonstrates police has the expertise and resources to trace those who make such threats on the internet."
The student was remanded on bail without plea until October 12.