Stokes Valley homicide probe launched

02:04, Jan 27 2012
HOMICIDE SCENE: A policeman stands guard over the cordoned off scene in Stokes V
HOMICIDE SCENE: A policeman stands guard over the cordoned off scene in Stokes Valley.

Two men charged in connection with a fatal stabbing in Stokes Valley have appeared in court.

Both accused were granted interim name suppression by Judge Peter Butler during a brief appearance at Lower Hutt District Court this afternoon.

The men, aged 20 and 22, appeared in the dock wearing white boiler suits. The mother of one of the men yelled out: "I love you son, you'll be all good baby''.

Both were remanded in custody until their next court appearance in February.

A homicide investigation was launched after a 27-year-old man died from multiple stab wounds last night.

Police continue to carry out forensic examinations and the scene remains cordoned off. There is a white tent erected over a car parked on the side of the street.


Detective Senior Sergeant Scott Cooper of the Lower Hutt CIB said police were called to a Stokes Valley house at 9pm last night after reports of fighting.

When police arrived, bystanders were performing first aid on the 27-year-old victim.

Nearby resident Manfred Mwape, 37, said he was just returning from a walk when he heard a "minor scream''.

He was to scared to go outside and heard police sirens shortly after. He had only just moved into his house, he said.

"I'm wondering if I'm in the right place, it's a bit close.''

Hiripo Kepa said he heard shouting on the street about 9pm last night. When his daughter looked outside, she saw the victim sitting inside a car bleeding.

Mr Kepa said he ran outside with other people and began putting pressure on the man's chest wounds.

"We tried to do our best, the guy was in a lot of pain."

Police arrived soon after and the victim was put in the back of a police car.

Mr Kepa said he stayed with the man and kept putting pressure on his wounds while a police officer drove to Hutt Hospital, passing an incoming ambulance on the way.

Mr Kepa only found out the man had died this morning.

"I feel bad because we thought...he'd made it."

Mr Cooper said the man had multiple stab wounds in the chest that were beyond medical intervention.

"At this stage we are beginning to piece together the events which led to this man's death last night and we are appealing to anyone that was in the area of George and Logie St to contact police if they saw or heard anything suspicious last night."

Police were investigating any links between the victim and accused.

The Dominion Post