Policewoman out of hospital

12:11, Feb 23 2012

A young, female police officer knocked out during an alleged attack in West Auckland has been discharged from hospital.

The teenager charged with seriously assaulting the police officer last night is understood to still be in hospital after being bitten by a police dog.

The 18-year-old was earlier admitted to the same hospital as the officer, a 22-year-old West Auckland woman who has been in the job for 2½ years.

She was allegedly punched in the face and knocked unconscious late last night after two officers tried to arrest four occupants of a stolen car.

She was admitted to North Shore Hospital and underwent X-rays and scans on what are mainly facial injuries before being discharged this afternoon.

A North Shore Hospital spokeswoman said the teenager was in a "comfortable condition" this morning.

Waitemata police spokesman Inspector Gary Allcock said the youth was tracked by police dogs for an hour after the incident last night and was injured in a "confrontation" with a police dog.

He is facing charges in relation to the stolen car, his manner of driving, escaping custody, aggravated assault on the officer, failing to stop, unlawfully being on a property and possession of an offensive weapon thought to be a blade.
Police are arranging a hospital bedside hearing for today and would oppose bail.

The incident began at 10.40pm when a police car chased a Subaru station wagon reported stolen earlier in the day.

"The pursuit lasted for six minutes until the driver of the stolen vehicle pulled to the side of the road near Ranui Railway Station and the four occupants attempted to run away," police said.

Two police officers tried to arrest the occupants.
"The male driver of the stolen vehicle then violently assaulted the female police officer attempting to arrest him, punching her in the face a number of times," police said.

She was knocked unconscious and the four people ran away.
Three - including the 18-year-old who is charged with her assault - were later found.

Police were still looking for the fourth person.

Anyone with information can call Henderson police on 09 837 4953 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.