Kim Dotcom's bodyguard faces trial

MICHELLE ROBINSON
Last updated 10:37 08/03/2012
Wayne Tempero
GRAHAME COX/Fairfax NZ
THE BODYGUARD: Kim Dotcom's bodyguard Wayne Tempero outside the North Shore District Court.

Relevant offers

Crime

Waikato drunk-driver stats down by a third Gisborne shooting victim dies Police hunt Wellington sex assailant Second lot of buses burned in arson Victim's family back cut jail term Woman attacked in Wellington Inside the Mei Fan murder case Man in Manawatu grabs girl, 11 Man jailed for attacks on partner Relief as offender removed

Kim Dotcom's bodyguard has pleaded not guilty to two firearms charges and has chosen a jury trial to determine his fate.

Wayne Tempero faced two counts of possession of a pistol for an unlawful purpose when he appeared in the North Shore District Court today.

A trial date of March 30 was set down and he was remanded on bail.

When asked outside court why he had opted for a jury trial, he smiled and said: "Why not?"

Tempero was arrested during a police raid on Dotcom's rented $30 million mansion in Coatesville in January.

The raid followed a request from the United States Department of Justice, which wants to extradite Dotcom and his associates on charges of masterminding a multi-million dollar online copyright violation syndicate they call the "Mega conspiracy" via his website Megaupload. Tempero does not face any charges relating to the copyright.

The bodyguard, who has worked for Dotcom for more than two years, was earlier remanded on bail at the Coatesville mansion rented by Dotcom, his heavily pregnant wife Mona, and three young children. Today he said he was still working for Dotcom.

Dotcom's assets were frozen and he faces an extradition trial in August. The 38-year-old German spent a month in prison before successfully appealing his bail last week.

Ad Feedback

- © Fairfax NZ News

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content