Dotcom mansion raid footage 'safe'
Servers holding surveillance footage of the raid on the Dotcom mansion have not been destroyed, police say.
Reports this week accused police of damaging or losing the recordings, taken on the day internet mogul Kim Dotcom was arrested at his Auckland mansion and charged with breaching copyright by the US Government.
The reports alleged Dotcom's legal team had been asking for the footage since January.
Police allegedly refused, until finally agreeing an IT expert for Dotcom could collect a copy of the footage.
When the IT expert arrived at the police station, the reports said, he apparently found the server completely disassembled, and authorities said they could not reassemble it or give him any footage.
However police on Tuesday rubbished the claims, saying the footage had not been destroyed or damaged and it will still be able to be viewed.
''Police would happily release the footage in question but currently has no authority to do so,'' a spokesman said.
''The footage is contained on a hard drive lawfully seized on a warrant obtained by police at the direction of Crown Law following a properly formulated mutual legal assistance request from the United States.''
The spokesman said the equipment was part of the wider evidence gathered and police would hand it over once the court gave direction on how the exhibits, in their entirety or individually, were to be managed.
Dotcom's lawyers were asking for full disclosure from the FBI. Documents are yet to be provided, and it is likely a court hearing will be held to argue what will be released.
A date for that hearing is yet to be set.
In the meantime, Dotcom and his three co-accused remain on bail pending an extradition hearing.
Decisions on the seizures of the accused's assets - including money, cars and other property - are also pending, with a judgement expected this week.