Charges over skeleton found in garage
A man will appear in court today charged with interfering with human remains over a previously unidentified skeleton found in an Auckland garage in September last year.
The 24-year-old was charged by police last night and will appear in the Auckland District Court.
The headless skeleton was found at a property in Barack Rd, Mt Wellington, by contractors on September 30 and until recently police said they didn't know who the deceased was.
Police today said they believe they know who the remains belong to and are notifying the dead man's family about the arrest.
The man was not reported missing and is believed to have died in 2010.
Detective Sergeant Graham Shand said the bones were "certainly introduced" to the garage after the family who lived in the home for 20 years moved out.
The home had been empty for about a year and was in a state of disrepair.
Shand said in December that his team were going through 43 missing person files to find out who the man was.
"We have a DNA profile for the body and are looking at the DNA of those people in the missing persons database," he said.
"An anthropologist has been introduced to determine the age and other distinguishing characteristics of the bones and to identify of characteristics, like medical conditions."