BREAKING NEWS
Magnitude 7.3 earthquake in Vanuatu ... Read more
Close

Men tell of sex abuse as teens

DAVID CLARKSON
Last updated 05:00 15/06/2012

Relevant offers

Crime

Attempted South Canterbury vehicle attack trial begins May 27 sentencing for Ashburton Work and Income shooter Russell John Tully Cold case trial: Unusual activity on victim's bank account Homicide victim Marcus Tucker previously kidnapped over drug debts Taranaki teen pleads guilty to assaulting road worker with stop-go sign Man caught watching porn, masturbating in The Plaza car park Palmerston North retirement home worker steals rings from resident Cops chase trio in stolen car for 80km Explainer: How are our current name suppression laws working? Charges dismissed against Avatar movie props man accused of firing shotgun

Two men have given evidence of sexual incidents as teenagers in the trial of a 56-year-old man on sex and cannabis-supply charges.

They are among 10 complainants who will give evidence in the three-week Christchurch District Court trial of the former teacher and busker charged with sexually abusing them when they were teenagers.

The accused faces charges of supplying cannabis to young people, indecency and sexual violation. His name is suppressed.

The first witness, now 33, told of going to sleep in the lounge of the defendant's flat and waking to find him giving him a massage.

He pushed the man away. "I told him I wasn't into that."

The second witness said he first met the accused when he was busking in Christchurch and shared a cannabis joint.

He later met him at a St Albans house where the then 15-year-old had gone to buy cannabis. They smoked cannabis and after he became sick he went to sleep and woke to find the accused performing oral sex on him. He stopped him.

The accused supported him when he was sent to jail.

One witness denied a defence question that "nothing ever happened that you didn't want", and he denied that police had allowed him to be granted bail on another charge in return for his co-operation in this case.

He also denied he and other complainants had "got together and made up these stories". He had seen some of the other witnesses in prison but they had not discussed this case.

When questioned by Judge Jane Farish, he said he had never been offered any inducements by the police to give evidence in the case.

Ad Feedback

- The Press

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content