Husband killer Lucille Scollay needs to improve behaviour - Parole Board
Convicted killer Lucille Scollay has fallen foul of prison rules six times since being jailed for the manslaughter of her husband, the Parole Board says.
The Christchurch woman was denied parole after becoming eligible for the first time on August 5.
The 46-year-old was jailed for six years, with no minimum non-parole period, last year for fatally stabbing her husband Guy Christian Scollay in "a moment of madness" when their 20-year relationship reached breaking point.
Charged with murder, the jury convicted Scollay of manslaughter after the trial established sympathy for her situation in a marriage that deteriorated into drug addiction and depression.
Lucille Scollay never denied stabbing her husband with a kitchen knife through the chest after returning from a night out drinking and talking with a friend.
Justice Cameron Mander said her actions appeared to be "borne out of despair".
Scollay did not attend her August 4 Parole Board hearing, instead she filed a written waiver asking to appear before the board after she finished a drug treatment programme.
The board noted she had six misconduct charges against her name since she was sent to jail in March last year.
"Whilst her conduct is recorded as improving, the board will require a sustained period of good conduct on her part to demonstrate that she is learning from the interventions in which she is participating."
The board said Scollay was making good progress with her prison-based interventions and she had completed a level 1 painting qualification.
She cannot return before the board for another year. Her statutory release date is August 4, 2019.