Beast of Blenheim cries to judge

Last updated 13:28 27/06/2012
Stewart Murray Wilson
CONVICTED RAPIST: Stewart Murray Wilson.

Relevant offers

Crime

Tired driver who killed two near Longburn 'should have known better' Sentry Taitoko: Family still seeking answers after cell death Firearms stolen in Rolleston burglary High-speed chase of teens in stolen car Phillip John Smith denied parole Man's holiday plans cancelled by judge Christchurch alcoholic jailed for drunken email threats to MPs Fergbaker supervisor sentenced for theft Two men found guilty of burning Auckland man Shalvin Prasad to death WA sex offender to dodge parole conditions by moving to NZ, police didn't know

He was the beast who cried.

Voice quavering, the man dubbed the Beast of Blenheim has spoken emotionally of the unfairness he has endured during what he called a "long stretch".

Convicted in 1996 of 19 offences, including raping five females and bestiality, Stewart Murray Wilson, is said to still pose a high risk of reoffending sexually. Wilson has denied his crimes and has five times challenged decisions not to release him earlier.

A prison officer passed him tissues as Wilson, 65, made what could be his last bid for freedom ahead of his planned September 1 release.

Speaking via a video link to the High Court at Wellington this morning, Wilson complained - not for the first time - that he had been denied any treatment since being sentenced in 1996 to 21 years' jail.

He said he had been denied one-on-one counselling, without being interviewed, because he would not say he was guilty "to please them".

"I am having to accept the blame for not being open to change or consideration to be worked with because this is a determination that the psychologists have made."

Over the years he had asked for one-on-one counselling but been refused and had that been different "we may not be here today", Wilson told Justice David Collins.

"I am not given any credit for anything, I'm getting older and I'm getting wiser and I am a lot slower than I used to be."

The judge however confirmed the Parole Board's decision of October last year [2011] not to overturn an order that Wilson remains in prison until the end of his sentence.

Justice Collins said it was little wonder that the board thought that the legal test for keeping Wilson in prison continued to be met. There was more than enough evidence to justify its decision.

One of the things the board had to consider was the risk that if Wilson was released he might reoffend before the date that he would otherwise have to be freed at the end of his sentence.

Justice Collins said that given the compelling evidence of Wilson's high risk of sexual reoffending despite his advancing years, the board's decision was not surprising.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content