Members of Wanganui District Council have threatened to take all possible action to stop the relocation of sex offender Stewart Murray Wilson into their community.
Wilson - also known as the Beast of Blenheim - is set to be freed from prison on September 1 after being jailed for 21 years in March 1996.
Now 65, he was convicted on 22 sex charges against woman and children between 1971 and 1994.
Last week, the Corrections Department announced Wilson would be subject to what it believes are the most stringent conditions imposed on any New Zealand prisoner upon release.
The 17 special conditions include one that will make him the first child-sex offender to be tracked by a global positioning system (GPS).
Yesterday more than 200 members of the public attended a fiery public meeting, organised by Councillors Ray Stevens and Michael Laws. Seven councillors - Mr Stevens, Mr Laws, Phillipa Baker-Hogan, Jack Bullock, Randhir Dahya, Hamish McDouall and Sue Westwood - signed a direction to chief executive Kevin Ross to call a full council meeting to discuss a policy regarding Wilson.
Mrs Baker-Hogan said members of the public were keen to speak at the meeting, ranging from victims of sexual abuse to those proposing "vigilante justice" on Wilson after his release.
She realised Wilson had to be released under the law but said it was unfair to lump him on Whanganui.
"I understand it's a national problem, I understand he has to be released . . . but it's using our city that's had nothing to do with this man and is trying its best to survive in a recession and using it as a test case."
Mr Laws said the overwhelming message from the public was to stop Wilson's release to Whanganui at all costs.
Corrections' behaviour had been "underhanded and sneaky" with no consultation with the public, he said. "The simplest thing to do would be to find one of Wilson's victims and relocate them to Whanganui, then he wouldn't be coming here, according to Corrections' logic."
Whanganui Mayor Annette Main said she was happy to have a meeting but at the end of the day it would be a council decision whether to pursue any legal action.
Expert advice would need to be prepared and available to councillors before the meeting so they could make an informed decision.
Comments from some members of the public that she had accepted the decision were untrue and she was simply in the "unenviable position" of having to relay the Corrections' decision to the community, Ms Main said.
A Corrections Department spokesman said officials would take part in a public meeting on Wednesday but had no further comment to make until then.
- © Fairfax NZ News