Man in court on attempted murder charge

BILL MOORE
Last updated 15:59 15/10/2012

Relevant offers

Crime

Alex Fisher case: Killer Eric McIsaac had been out of jail for just 83 days Man castrates dog with a stanley knife, gets community work Texts reveal Renee Duckmanton's boyfriend's growing concerns Budget 2016: $291m boost to ease pressure on overstretched prison system Two people accused of murdering James Whatuira "confessed" to prisoner Police wages fund topped up but no money for new recruitment Jury finds farmer - not nature - diverted Taranaki stream Online lothario Paul William Abbott appears near Christchurch Guilty pleas to drug dealing operation exposed by undercover cops Jono Paul Wilson denied parole for attack on couples

A man charged with the attempted murder of a Nelson man after a 51-year-old man's throat was slashed at a Nelson address has been remanded in custody.

Steven Keith Pengelly, 39, made a brief appearance in the Nelson District Court this afternoon.

Judge Richard Russell remanded Pengelly until October 29.

He entered no plea, was remanded in custody and did not apply for bail.

Pengelly was arrested in Picton yesterday.

The arrest followed a 51-year-old man being taken to Nelson Hospital about 5pm on Friday after he staggered into the Washington Rd dairy asking for help.

He had a severe throat wound.

Detective Sergeant Mark Kaveney of the Nelson CIB said he was ''very relieved for the wider community'' that the alleged attacker was ''off the streets''.

''It was a very disturbing incident.''

The victim was discharged from Nelson Hospital yesterday afternoon. The hospital would not provide any details of his injury or treatment but, on Saturday, St John Ambulance team leader Jon Leach said the victim had suffered a ''relatively deep laceration across the throat'' that appeared to have missed the major arteries, ''but his airway was probably exposed''.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content