Family too late to see stabbing victim alive

TRACEY CHATTERTON AND ANNA TURNER
Last updated 05:00 17/10/2012

Relevant offers

Crime

Drug houses worth $500k seized by Crown Alleged Waikanae station slasher was a former mental patient Man on trial for alleged taxi surfing on Auckland Harbour Bridge Wrong visa lands rebuild worker's firm in hot water Graffiti attack on Auckland train leaves passenger struggling to breathe Cop killer denied parole on third bid Cop killer denied parole on third bid Oamaru man faces more historic sex charges Female social worker accused of having sex with teenage boy Man arrested after platform attack at Waikanae station

A young woman accused of stabbing a man at his flat in Hastings told a magazine she saw herself as a "safe haven" for children.

The 20-year-old, who has interim name suppression, has been charged with assaulting Christopher Robin Jones early on Saturday.

Mr Jones, 22, died in Hawke's Bay Hospital later that morning from the stab wounds to his stomach.

The slight woman looked pale and nervous in the dock in Hastings District Court yesterday. She entered no plea to a charge of stabbing Mr Jones.

In a magazine this year, the childcare worker claimed she was a "safe haven" for children she cared for.

Mr Jones' mother, Sharon, and stepfather Carl Duxfield got a call at 8.30am on Saturday telling them Mr Jones had been stabbed. They took the first flight from Christchurch to Hawke's Bay but it was too late.

After several hours of surgery, Mr Jones died from his wounds.

Mr Jones grew up in Christchurch and went to Lincoln High School. He spent "every spare minute" freestyle BMXing, Mr Duxfield said.

He moved to Hastings 18 months ago. At the time of his death he was working as a kitchenhand at a restaurant.

"He was happy. He had a good group of friends up there - mostly BMXing guys," Mr Duxfield said.

The family was trying to come to terms with what had happened. "It's been a huge shock for all of us."

Mr Jones' funeral would be held tomorrow in Christchurch.

The accused was remanded on bail with the conditions that she live at a Hastings address and does not visit the flat where the incident occurred.

She surrendered her passport to the court. She will reappear next month.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content