Second man accused of kidnapping Portman
Another man, whose identity has been shrouded in secrecy, has appeared in court today accused of kidnapping Rae Portman.
Portman, 33, went missing in Auckland in June and her body was found at the back of a rural Ardmore property last month.
The man - who is understood to be from Auckland - previously appeared at Papakura District Court.
Wide ranging suppression orders had prevented his arrest from being reported.
A 31-year-old co-accused from Hamilton faces the same charge but his name suppression will be debated at an upcoming High Court hearing.
This morning the court was closed to the public and the defendant was given interim name suppression until his next appearance next month.
Judge Claire Ryan said there had been threats made against the accused and she was obliged to account for the man's safety.
Police said there were more people they needed to speak to and there was a real risk of prejudicing a fair trial if the man was named.
Detective Inspector Mark Gutry previously said more charges were likely to follow but it was unlikely there would be further arrests.
Portman's mother Rebecca Norton revealed at a press conference in September that her daughter was four months pregnant when she disappeared.
Before going missing from a Mt Albert motor lodge, Portman - known as "Bok" - dropped off her car at a mechanic.
After her family reported her missing on July 2 and made online appeals for information, her car was returned to her friend Kristina Le Noel.
Le Noel was later charged with stealing the car after allegedly selling it without the Portman family's permission.
Three other people were arrested while police traced Portman's whereabouts.
Brendon Wilson and Dean Addison are facing drugs charges, and Voi Marie King was accused of assaulting Portman, but the charge was dropped a couple of weeks ago.
- © Fairfax NZ News