Jewish grave vandalism charges dropped

SARAH HARVEY
Last updated 11:11 05/11/2012
tydn grave stand
FAIRFAX
DEFACED: Jewish graves in Symonds St Cemetery were desecrated with swastikas and expletive-ridden messages.

Relevant offers

Crime

Three armed robberies in Wellington Hunt for men who tried to lure Havelock North schoolgirl in to car Defence takes aim at WorkSafe during forestry manslaughter trial Pay up or go to jail, judge tells gambling conman Judge reserves decision in cop assault trial Let police investigate Opotiki sexual allegations: mayor Convict sues Corrections over alleged assaults by prison guards Relief as sex charges against Opunake man dismissed Teenage driver avoids potential carjacking Murder-accused accepts killing but says it was manslaughter

A man who vowed to fight to the "bitter end" charges of wilfully damaging Jewish graves at an Auckland cemetery has had his case dropped.  

Police announced this morning that charges against Nathan Symington had been withdrawn as there was "insufficient evidence to carry a robust prosecution".

More than a dozen headstones at the Symonds St cemetery's Jewish quarter were vandalised with images of swastikas and expletive-ridden anti-semitic messages in the attack last month. 

At a court appearance after the attack, Symington said his only connection to the crime was through a friend who took a photo of the graffiti and sent it to him, which he then shared.

"I feel like killing myself over this. My name's been shamed," he said at the time.

A police spokeswoman said officers had advised Symington they would be seeking to formally withdraw the charge of intentional damage at his next court appearance.

However, the prosecution against the other two defendants will continue.

The two men aged 19 and 20, who have name suppression, are expected to appear in court next Tuesday.  

Ad Feedback

- Auckland Now

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content