'Good Samaritan' attacks assault victim
A man who offered to call police for an assault victim, showed his true colours when he stole the young boy’s cellphone and attacked him.
Hamilton Police are hunting for the group responsible for the alleged assault and street robbery that happened in Grange Ave, Nawton about 8.30pm last Friday.
Detective Constable Paul Slater, of the Hamilton CIB, said a 15-year-old boy was walking with two friends when they were set upon by two older men.
‘‘One threw a beer can at the trio while the other man attacked our victim," said Slater.
"The victim’s two friends managed to escape, however, the schoolboy was not so fortunate and was knocked to the ground.’’
A ‘‘so called Good Samaritan’’ then offered to call the police using the boy’s cellphone.
However, the do-gooder turned out to be another offender who assaulted the victim before taking his cellphone.
‘‘While at the receiving end of a losing battle, our victim fought back, ripping his attacker’s red top in the process,’’ Slater said.
‘‘The victim then chased the [main] offender to Dominion Rd where he was then set upon by a fourth male, who we believe is an associate of the male who stole the cellphone.’’
Slater said police would like to speak to anyone who witnessed the attack, or anyone with information on the identity of the offenders.
POLICE DESCRIPTION OF THE OFFENDERS
- Described as male Maori aged between 17 and 22-years-old.
- The first attacker was about 175cm tall, of stocky build and was wearing a red hooded top with the word ’Obey’ on it.
- The second attacker was described as being of slimmer build, about 170cm tall wearing a grey or white hooded top.
- The offender who stole the phone is described as being over 182cm tall, of solid build and
wearing a ripped red T-shirt with what appeared to be the outline of a tattoo on his chest.
He also had well groomed black hair, which appeared gelled back.
- The fourth offender appeared to be aged 18-20-years-old and was described as rough looking and wearing a red hooded top with white writing on it.