Four injured in Invercargill attack
A man suffered head injuries after being stabbed and four people were attacked with a variety of weapons in two violent incidents in Invercargill at the weekend, police said.
Acting Detective Senior Sergeant Mike Bowman said a 36-year-old man had been taken to Southland Hospital and treated for moderate head injuries after police were called to a reported stabbing in Earn St yesterday, about 8.30am.
A 24-year-old man, who was known to the victim, was arrested and is to appear in Invercargill District Court today on assault-related charges, Mr Bowman said. More serious charges are possible.
The victim was discharged from hospital yesterday.
A neighbour said he had seen a young man walking down the street in the morning holding a towel on his head.
"He looked badly injured and had cuts on his face," he said.
Police were also investigating a serious assault in Nelson St in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Two men and two women were allegedly assaulted with a weapon outside the address, Mr Bowman said.
The victims were treated at Southland Hospital for moderate to serious injuries.
A 50-year-old man was arrested at the scene and will face a raft of assault-related charges when he appeared in court today, he said.
Police are also investigating the attempted abduction of a 17-year-old girl from George St in Windsor yesterday between 9.45am and 10am.
An occupant of a white van had reportedly tried to get the girl into the van near the corner of Wilton and George streets, but she had managed to run off towards Windsor St.
The man is described as being in his 50s to 60s with grey-silver hair.
The van is described as being white with tinted windows.
Mr Bowman said this was the latest of several reported incidents during the past month that had involved an older man in a white van approaching children.
"If you see a suspicious white van with an older man driving it in your area, take down the registration number and ring the police.''
The Southland Times