Chris Cairns found not guilty in perjury case ... Read more

Assault charge withdrawn against bodyguard

Last updated 13:15 05/12/2012

Relevant offers


Marlborough medical administrator betrays trust of employers Australian deportee in court on burglary charge Invercargill aggravated robbery accused desperate for money, jury told Witness says man 'happiest he had ever been' in days before he went missing Pregnant woman rammed by car in Hamilton Drunk road rage driver tailgated, rammed cars Man thought he would die while face sliced open with a bottle Drunk man creates flood at Tauranga police station Man accused of murdering Southland toddler dies Victim welcomes military attache's guilty plea to indecent assault charge

The bodyguard who provided personal security for Sir Peter Jackson on The Hobbit red carpet has had an assault charge against him dismissed.

Thomas Andrew Gibson, 42, former director of Wellington's failed Temperance Bar, was due to appear in court today on an assault charge from July 21 as the charge was not to go ahead he did not appear personally.

Police prosecutor Mark Wilton asked for the charge to be withdrawn saying the file had been reviewed by the police district prosecution manager.

He did not say why the charge was not proceeding.

Wellington District Court judge Joanna Maze said it was not her practise to allow the charge to be withdrawn on the day of the hearing but asked if that meant the police would then offer no evidence.

Wilton said he had no difficulty if the judge wished to deal with it that way.

Judge Maze dismissed the charge and excused Gibson’s attendance at court.

Lawyer Andrew Davie appeared for Gibson but made no application.

The Dominion Post today revealed Gibson failed a criminal history check and should not have been granted a licence to work at the premiere of The Hobbit.

Ad Feedback

- The Dominion Post

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content