Guy family relieved at Macdonald decision

16:00, Dec 11 2012
Ewen Macdonald
DENIED PAROLE: Ewen Macdonald has failed in his bid to get an early release from prison.

Kylee Guy and her family are pleased Ewen Macdonald is still behind bars and say they will oppose his parole "until the bitter end".

Macdonald, 32, was declined a pre-Christmas release yesterday after an hour-long hearing before the Parole Board at Manawatu Prison.

Board member Justice Warwick Gendall told Macdonald he would be required to undergo "intensive psychological therapy" to address his "underlying issues" before he next faced the board in 11 months.

The board also called for a report from a forensic psychiatrist.

Macdonald was eligible for parole as he had served a third of his five-year sentence for arson, criminal damage and theft.

Mrs Guy's sister Chanelle Bullock said the whole family still found it tough dealing with anything involving Macdonald, so his parole denial had come as a relief.


"Thank God he's not out, really," she said.

Kylee Guy is the widow of Feilding farmer Scott Guy, who was gunned down outside his rural home in the pre-dawn darkness of July 2010.

Macdonald, Mr Guy's brother-in-law, was charged with his murder nine months later but acquitted by a High Court jury earlier this year.

After his arrest, Macdonald confessed to a string of crimes in the years leading up to the murder, including the arson of an old farmhouse on Scott and Kylee Guy's property in October 2008 and vandalising his new home with an axe and offensive graffiti about three months later.

Mrs Guy was not at yesterday's Parole Board hearing but in a submission, her family said they still considered Macdonald a danger to the community because his crimes were malicious and motivated by revenge.

Mrs Guy is still working with private investigators in a bid to uncover fresh evidence on her husband's death. In a statement, she said she was not giving up on "Scotty" and anyone with information - no matter how big or small - should come forward.

After the hearing, Macdonald's estranged wife, Anna, Scott Guy's sister, said she had expected the outcome.

"We're carrying on as normal. I'm not dwelling on Ewen and the parole and all that kind of stuff," she said.

Meanwhile, Macdonald's offer of free labour for his victims will not be taken up by a farmer whose two prized trophy stags were poached in the middle of the night.

During the hearing Macdonald said he wanted to repay his victims by way of reparation, or volunteer his labour.

Craig Hocken, the Colyton farmer who lost two trophy deer to Macdonald and Callum Boe's poaching, said he did not want Macdonald on his farm.

Board member Neville Trendle said he had heard from a member of Kylee Guy's family who did not think Macdonald should be allowed to live in Hawke's Bay, where Mrs Guy now lives, or Manawatu.

Macdonald was asked what he thought of that.

"I'd like to be able to come back to the Manawatu because I have got future employment prospects here and just with my children and my family [living here]."

Macdonald said at the hearing that he had damaged the Guys' new house in January 2009 and left offensive graffiti on the outside for revenge and because he was frustrated with the farm working situation, but he said burning down the old house was just "a stupid act".

"It wasn't getting at Scott or Kylee."

In prison Macdonald has done a carpentry course and is starting a landscaping and painting course.

Anyone with information on the Scott Guy murder can contact the investigators at or the police anonymously via Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

The Dominion Post