Bashing victim 'part of Featherston's fabric'

23:06, Jan 16 2013

The family of a Featherston man who died after a group beating says they are devastated "a piece of this family was taken from us".

Glen Jones, 40, died of head injuries suffered in a beating in his Featherston home shortly after midnight on Saturday morning.

The people allegedly involved in the attack were gathering to mark the anniversary of a friend's death.

In a short statement this evening said Jones loved his family and friends and would be particularly missed by his nieces and nephews.

"He was part of the fabric of the Featherston community and lots of people looked out for him," his family said.
"We know that many people around town had a soft spot for 'Jonsey' and will sympathise with our grief.
"The support we have received over the last few days has been overwhelming and we sincerely want to thank you all for that."

The family said they were "hugely grateful" to the large number of people who had contacted police with information.


Meanwhile, police have arrested another man in connection with Jones’ death.

Detective Inspector Sean Hansen said in a statement that armed police had arrested Kristofer Jones, 23, on State Highway 1 near Hunterville about 2am this morning.

Kristofer Jones, who is not a relation to Glen, appeared in Palmerston North District Court this afternoon.

He entered no plea when he appeared in front of Justice of the Peace Ray Bensemann on a charge of aggravated burglary.

He was remanded in custody until January 18.

Kristofer Jones was arrested by armed police overnight in Hunterville.

Police found the blue 1989 Mitsubishi Mirage he was believed to have been using in Levin late yesterday.

Hayden Ranson, 27, who was thought to be travelling with Jones, remained on the run and police advised members of the public not to approach him and call police immediately.


Arrest warrants were issued for Kristofer Jones and Ranson yesterday, after three co-accused appeared at Masterton District Court on charges of aggravated burglary.

They were charged with entering Glen Jones' home with a wooden bat and an axe handle.

The two women, aged 22 and 32, and a 28-year-old man were remanded in custody until later this week. All three have name suppression.

Police are also speaking to three other people, but it was not known whether they would be charged.

Kristofer Jones is a former partner of Aimee Wilson, who died after a car she was a passenger in crashed north of Masterton shortly before midnight on January 12, 2011. The couple had a child together.

It is understood a number of people charged in connection with Glen Jones' death were gathering to remember Wilson, who was killed two years to the day before Glen Jones' beating.

A Masterton neighbour of one of the females accused said that she arrived home about 9.30pm on Friday to find there was a gathering at a Solway address.

A white Holden Commodore which police have linked to the attack was parked in the driveway. Investigators are appealing for sightings of car, which travelled through the Wairarapa, Hutt Valley and Wellington during the weekend.

There was a large group of people "drinking and laughing" sitting in deck chairs at the back of property, the neighbour said.

The neighbour has since seen police officers visit the home and remove items in brown paper bags.

On Saturday morning, Kristofer Jones posted on Facebook that he was "still feeling a lil drunk from last night" and organised to meet friends involved in a memorial gathering at the car park of McDonald's in Masterton.

A year earlier a large convoy had gathered in Wilson's memory before driving to the site of her death in Mikimiki Rd.

It is understood children who lived at the address are now staying with their grandmother down the street.

The grandmother said she was struggling to come to terms with the arrests and refused to comment further.

Detective Inspector Hansen yesterday said police were still working to determine any links between the victim and his alleged attackers.

More charges would probably follow in relation to Jones' death, Hansen said.

"We had a man killed in his home and there is all likelihood that further charges are likely."

Police have also recovered several objects linked to Jones' death from a Lower Hutt industrial site.


The Dominion Post