137 charges in sex abuse case

Last updated 09:19 23/01/2013

Relevant offers

Crime

Lawyer of Waimate assault accused seeks files on 'gang of thugs' Stratford man pleads guilty to role he played in police pursuit and crash Robbery victims offered holidays to withdraw police statements Taranaki landscaper admits illegally taking ferns from a protected area Invercargill prisoner bit, spat at guards, court told Denise Cherelle Greig admits scamming three elderly women in Christchurch Te Kuiti boy found wandering alone with dog in the dark Former police officer Peter Pakau loses sentence appeal Notorious fugitive Paul James Bennett will be deported next week John Key says Panama Papers leak a cautionary tale for Kiwi businesses

New charges have been laid against a Marlborough man accused of sexually abusing teenage girls over 27 years, bringing the total number of charges against him to 137.

Blenheim police this week laid 78 new charges against the 64-year-old, whose name is suppressed, but the exact nature of the new charges cannot be confirmed until the man appears in court on Monday to answer them.

It is understood the new charges are mostly charges of possession of objectionable images, but include a charge of offending from one new complainant, bringing the total number of complainants to 10.

The man's lawyer, Rob Harrison, previously said the man would defend himself against the charges already laid, but said yesterday he had only just become aware of the new charges and had not yet seen the evidence.

Police confirmed the new charges would be added to the 59 charges they have already laid against the man since his arrest on August 31.

Those charges included three charges of rape and one of attempted rape as well as charges of unlawful sexual connection, grooming, making an intimate visual recording and possession and supply of drugs including LSD and cannabis.

One of those charges related to an incident in 1985; the other charges ranged from 1993 to 2012. Police confirmed the combined charges would make up the case against the man in any forthcoming trial.

Blenheim police prosecutor Sergeant Mark Harris said police would investigate any new complaints they receive against the man; if any new charges are laid they will be laid separately.

Ad Feedback

- The Marlborough Express

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content