A South Auckland school has confined its students to their classrooms and pulled out of a cultural competition after a brawl that left pupils injured.
Police were called to Aorere School to intervene in the brawl on Friday, when a group of students were reportedly using weapons such as hammers and knives on each other.
Five students are now facing disciplinary action.
Principal Patrick Drumm told Radio New Zealand this morning that since the fight all 1500 students had also been confined to their classrooms and all extracurricular activities had been cancelled.
This included the school's participation in the Polyfest competition, which meant 300 students missed out on spending four days off campus.
"It's a very, very difficult decision for us, this would have been the 38th year in a row [at the festival] for us," Drumm told Radio New Zealand.
"We felt that the incident that happened on Friday needed a serious response."
The school felt the students needed better supervision than could be provided if the students were at Polyfest, he said.
Police said last week that one student was injured in the fight.
There have been rumours that it was sparked by students with gang connections, but Drumm said this morning that had not been established.
The school will hold disciplinary meetings with the board today.
- © Fairfax NZ News