BREAKING NEWS
Man in police custody after incident at Parliament ... Read more
Close

Picton girls sexually assaulted

ANNA WILLIAMS
Last updated 14:08 02/04/2013

Relevant offers

Crime

Alex Fisher case: Five days of hope and despair Eric McIsaac admits to murdering his half-brother Alex Fisher Jo Pert murder accused facing more charges Prison for farm worker who kidnapped and assaulted partner Man beaten by kidnappers until he was 'unrecognisable', jury told Students and staff sent home after bomb threat to St Patrick's College Wellington Tinder rape accused says date was 'very normal', but also 'not sober' Man broke coffee table with head, damaged wife's hearing in row Police release last image of Christchurch woman Renee Duckmanton Thieves steal bikes, slaughter cow and pig during South Taranaki joyride

Two 16-year-old girls were allegedly sexually assaulted in a home invasion in Picton early on Sunday morning, police say.

Tasman region police spokeswoman Barbara Dunn said a 25-year-old Blenheim man had been arrested in relation to the incident.

He appeared in court on Monday and was in police custody. His name has been suppressed.

The man allegedly drove to the house about 3.45am on Sunday and went inside, Dunn said. She would not give details on how he got into the house.

The two girls were in the same bedroom when he allegedly sexually assaulted them, she said.

One of the girls lived at the house and they were being looked after by a man and a woman while her parents were away. 

The carers were alerted when the girls started yelling. The male carer managed to get the intruder out of the house and restrained him until the man broke free.

The woman called police and got the registration number of the alleged intruder's vehicle as he drove away.

Police stopped the man in his car in Picton shortly after he left the house and arrested him, Dunn said.

He appeared in the Blenheim District Court on Monday charged with performing an indecent act on a girl under 16, burglary, drink-driving and driving while disqualified.

He was remanded in custody to reappear on April 8.

Dunn would not give any details on the assaults or whether the girls knew the man who had assaulted them.

Ad Feedback

- The Marlborough Express

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content