Child sex offender Jarred James Hutchison denied parole

West Auckland man Jarred James Hutchison, who sexually abused a young girl over a period of five years, has been denied ...

West Auckland man Jarred James Hutchison, who sexually abused a young girl over a period of five years, has been denied parole.

A man who filmed himself repeatedly raping a young girl will remain in jail as he poses a "high risk" to the community.

Jarred James Hutchison was sentenced in 2006 to 13 and a half years' imprisonment, with a seven-and-a-half year non-parole period, for a raft of sexual crimes.

He had photographed and videotaped himself sexually abusing the girl over a period of five years, starting when she was three years old.

Police found his stash of self-made pornography when they searched his West Auckland home.

Hutchison pleaded guilty in the High Court at Auckland to 24 counts of rape, 51 counts of unlawful sexual connection and 16 counts of making objectionable films.

The Solicitor General later appealed the sentence, arguing that the risk of Hutchison re-offending after his release had not been addressed at his sentencing. 

The Court of Appeal found Hutchison would pose a "significant and ongoing risk ... to young children in future" and in 2007 imposed preventive detention, an indeterminate life sentence.

He became eligible for parole at the end of 2012 but the Parole Board made an order postponing that hearing for three years.

He came before the board for the first time in October.

The board heard Hutchison had graduated from a child sex offender treatment programme in 2015 and had participated in an ongoing maintenance group since then.

Ad Feedback

However, a psychological report referred to him "initially minimising the gravity of his offending, despite his guilty pleas".

In a just-released decision, the board declined Hutchison parole, saying he "clearly" still posed a high risk to the community. 

"The pathway forward to him needs to be very carefully managed and will take some time. He must not only prove that what he has learnt in his treatment programmes can be demonstrated across a wide range of settings, but that he also develop a comprehensive and solid circle of support."

The board agreed with the psychologist's recommendation that Hutchison continue to participate in group therapy sessions.

At his trial, the court heard he had repeatedly blindfolded the girl and tied her hands together before raping and sodomising her and forcing her to perform oral sex.

The girl's family said at the time of the sentence that they were disgusted that Hutchison could be out of prison in seven and a half years.

She would struggle to recover from the emotional and psychological damage and showed sexualised behaviour towards other children, they said.

Hutchison will come before the Parole Board again in April 2018.

 - Stuff

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback