Child-sex ring offender wants lighter sentence

JOELLE DALLY
Last updated 05:00 21/06/2013

Relevant offers

Crime

$70k of Civil Defence equipment stolen Murder-accused kept bodies in car overnight Brazen beer bandit nicks 100 litres of booze Man admits trading drugs for stolen goods Five men charged with rape of woman Hit-and-run: Who could do that, wife asks Police seek info on alleged sexual assault Auckland man killed in work fight identified Woman's bravery praised after vicious bashing Kilbirnie storage fire trial date set

A notorious child-sex offender arrested in Christchurch after a global internet child exploitation ring bust is appealing his preventive detention sentence.

Bradford Charles Pascoe was sentenced in April in the Hamilton High Court to preventive detention with a minimum non-parole period of eight years after admitting 69 sex charges, including sexual violation of a 2-year-old boy.

Pascoe, 38, was identified after the arrest of an Italian paedophile to whom Pascoe had sent photographs of himself abusing a toddler.

Pascoe fled to Christchurch and assumed a new identity after police searched his Waikato property and found thousands of objectionable images on a computer and CDs.

Christchurch police tracked Pascoe down in July last year after he supplied objectionable images to an undercover police officer over the internet.

The Court of Appeal confirmed Pascoe had lodged an application on June 12 to appeal his sentence.

His lawyer, Bruce Hesketh, said the appeal was against the preventive detention aspect of the sentence that means if Pascoe were ever released from prison, he would be on parole for the rest of his life.

Hesketh said his client was seeking a finite sentence, but would not be drawn on the grounds of the appeal.

Ad Feedback

- The Press

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content