Police seek man after house fire

NICOLE MATHEWSON
Last updated 15:28 18/07/2013
fire

DESTROYED: Arson is thought to be the cause behind a fire which engulfed this Birchfield Ave property.

Aaron Swann
WANTED: Police are searching for Aaron Swann after a suspected arson in Dallington yesterday.
Upper Riccarton house fire
DEAN KOZANIC/Fairfax NZ
UNDER CONTROL: Firefighters attended a house blaze in Upper Riccarton this morning.

Relevant offers

Crime

Dairy worker 'shaken' after armed robbery Woman sentenced for scissor attack Drink-driver ignored bail terms Fourth time drink driver caught Drink-driving numbers tumble Minto family angry at acquittal Alleged drug dealer held in custody Cyclists cop $400k in fines Knife, hammer used in robbery Hamilton man admits historic sex offences

Police are searching for a man in relation to a suspected arson in the Christchurch suburb of Dallington.

Christchurch man Aaron Swann, 28, is being sought in connection to a fire yesterday at an empty house in Birchfield Ave.

Firefighters arrived at the house at 6.15pm finding the fire was ''already well involved'' a Fire Service spokesman said.

Two fire appliances attended the blaze, which was contained to the one property.

Police Detective Sergeant Richard Quested said Swann was known to have an association with a former occupant of the house. The occupants had moved out recently.

Swann was described as caucasian, 163cm tall and of thin build.

Anyone with information about Swann's whereabouts was asked to contact Quested at Christchurch police station on (03) 363 7400 or they could provide information anonymously by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

The incident was the third suspicious house fire in Christchurch in four days.

Firefighters were also called to a blaze in an empty Salisbury St house just after 2pm on Tuesday, and a fire at a red-zoned South New Brighton home, in Ebbtide St, was reported about 12.20am on Saturday.

Meanwhile, firefighters attended a house blaze in Upper Riccarton on Haynes Ave at 8.12am.

A male resident was treated for smoke inhalation.

The fire had started in the kitchen, the spokesman said.

Ad Feedback

- The Press

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content