Ex-coach accused of boy's sex abuse
A former youth running coach has been accused of sexually abusing a 12-year-old boy.
Whanganui man Alan Rubick appeared in court earlier this month facing 13 charges of indecent assault and three of sexual violation, all against the same boy.
He was remanded in custody until his next appearance tomorrow.
It is understood there may be other charges pending, and police have been carefully investigating Rubick, speaking with other people about his conduct over the past few years.
Detective Senior Sergeant Neil Forlong said police were in discussions with other people over alleged offending and were liaising with Child, Youth and Family as well as police specialist interviewers.
He confirmed the current charges came after police were called to a disorder incident in February. An investigation ensued.
Rubick formerly coached star 800m runner Brad Mathas - a national champion for the last two years.
But he and Mathas went their separate ways just over a year ago after a six-year partnership.
It is understood Rubick spent time in Wellington before returning to his home town of Whanganui, where he regularly DJ'd at children's parties.
He played for the Whanganui Boys' and Girls' Gym Club and he also had a regular gig at Spirit'd Bar.
Bar manager Kamal Misra said Rubick "retired" a couple of months ago but before then his commercial hip-hop and R&B nights were popular with a young crowd.
Forlong said he was assembling a team of detectives this week and urged anyone with further information about the defendant to come forward.
"There are matters under investigation but at this stage I don't have a lot to comment on, because we're really in the early stages of them.
"It's identifying what may have been happening over the last period of time, which is likely to be years."
Rubick's appearance tomorrow will be in the Whanganui District Court.
Sunday Star Times