Hawke's Bay police make swift arrests after Napier CBD attack
Police have arrested three men in relation to an assault in Napier CBD on Thursday morning.
Around 10am a 23-year-old man was assaulted on the corner of Tennyson St and Cathedral Lane.
Two men hit and kicked the man, with one of them also assaulting him with a wooden object.
The men were then picked up by an associate driving a red and black SUV, who quickly left the area.
* Man seriously assaulted with skateboard in Napier
* Police seek witnesses to 'incident' in Napier that left man with serious head injuries
* Napier woman taken to car park, assaulted, before fighting off attacker
* Man stabbed and thrown through McDonald's window charged with assault
Detective Sergeant Craig Vining, of Hawke's Bay, said members of the public helped the victim until emergency services arrived.
"Police would like to thank the public who assisted, both in tending to the victim and providing information, which led to the prompt arrest of the offenders," Vining said.
"We are pleased we have found the people responsible and are able to hold them accountable."
The three were charged with injuring with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
A 20-year-old and a 19-year-old are due to appear in Hastings District Court. The third man, a 20-year-old, will appear in Napier District Court.
It is not yet known if the offenders knew the victim, who is recovering in hospital from concussion.
Police continue to offer support to the victim.
* If you saw the assault or the vehicle in the area, contact police on (06) 8730 519, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111