Mark Lundy's next appeal expected in October, relatives told
Convicted double killer Mark Lundy is expected to have his next appeal heard in October.
On April 1, 2015, Lundy was found guilty, for the second time, of murdering his wife Christine and daughter Amber in Palmerston North 15 years earlier.
Within four weeks of the verdict, it was indicated he would appeal, and on Friday relatives were told his hearing would be held in October.
"There's been nothing until today," Christine Lundy's brother, Glenn Weggery, said on Friday.
"This time round, we're just thankful we heard through official channels, not just the media."
Weggery said police alerted family members and, at this stage, it seemed the hearing would be "a couple of days".
It was expected it would be heard at the Court of Appeal in Wellington.
Weggery did not plan to travel to Wellington for the hearing.
Mark Lundy's brother Craig said the appeal had been tentatively set down for mid-October.
Lundy supporter Geoff Levick said Jonathan Eaton, QC, was the lead barrister on the case. Eaton could not immediately be reached for comment.
Police have been approached for comment.
Lundy was convicted in 2002 and was sentenced to life imprisonment with a minimum non-parole period of 17 years.
The prosecution appealed, and Lundy was given 20 years' non-parole.
Lundy lodged a Privy Council appeal in 2012.
The following year, the Privy Council quashed Lundy's murder convictions for killing his wife and daughter, and said he should face a re-trial.
Lundy was then released on bail. But at his retrial at the High Court in Wellington, a jury found Lundy guilty.
He was immediately sentenced to life in prison, with his 20 year non-parole period upheld.
Lundy gave evidence at his first trial, but not at the second one.