Complainant's claims of violent assault challenged by defence

Day two of a trial at the New Plymouth District Court has seen an alleged victim of a violent assault subjected to a ...
ANDY JACKSON/FAIRFAX NZ

Day two of a trial at the New Plymouth District Court has seen an alleged victim of a violent assault subjected to a grilling by defence counsel. (File Photo)

A complainant who says he was violently assaulted and burgled by two men has rejected claims he agreed to handing over property after he failed to pay back a $20,000 drug debt.

The man, who cannot be named, has given evidence in the trial of Raymond John Lewis Govenor and Alistair John Fox, which began on Monday.

Govenor and Fox are jointly charged with aggravated burglary, kidnapping, assault with intent to injure and injures with intent to injure.

Govenor also faces a charge of indecent assault.

The allegations relate to an incident which is said to have occurred at the complainant's New Plymouth home on March 13, 2016.

READ MORE: Defence claim early morning visit expected, not part of a violent vendetta

Govenor and Fox are also charged with conspiring to pervert the course of justice, along with Philip Free Knuckey. 

The trio have pleaded not guilty to the charges and their jury trial, before seven women and five men, is being heard in New Plymouth District Court.

It is alleged Govenor and Fox turned up unannounced at the complainant's house in the early hours of the morning.  

Ad Feedback

When the man answered the door, Govenor thrust a large fishing knife in his direction and punched him in the face.

Fox demanded the victim's house keys and locked the doors to the property, detaining the man inside. 

The Crown allege Govenor verbally threatened and physically assaulted the victim, before he indecently assaulted the complainant, by taking his penis out of his pants and rubbing it on the victim's shoulder. Threats of a sexual nature where also made by Govenor.

It is then alleged Govenor and Fox loaded the victim's car, tools and other property onto a trailer they bought to the address and left.

Govenor and Fox's defence lawyers denied any assault had taken place on the day in question and countered with a claim the complainant had previously agreed to give up some of his property as a form of security against a large drug debt he owed, connected to his methamphetamine abuse.

When questioned by prosecutor Cherie Clarke, the man admitted to using the drug and that he had a heavy addiction to the class A substance between 2007-2011 but only smoked it once or twice a week now.

Under a persistent cross-examination by Govenor's lawyer Kylie Pascoe, the complainant repeatedly denied he had any agreement in place to hand over his car and tools.

Pascoe continually challenged this and said he had racked up a $20,000 debt because of his addiction to methamphetamine and Govenor had been called in by a third party to recoup it.

"You had blown $20,000 with no ability to pay your debt," Pascoe said.

But the complainant rejected this suggestion and at one point called the claims "crazy".

"There's no way I would do that, I'm not stupid enough," he replied.

The complainant also denied Pascoe's contention he had met with Govenor in February 2016, telling him he was "in the s***" and owed money.  

Pascoe said March 13, 2016 was the deadline for the $20,000 to either be paid or for the property to be collected, a claim the witness again rejected.

"There's no way I would hand over those items. My beloved car, my tools - that's my life," he said.

The trial, before Judge Chris Sygrove, is expected to run until Friday.

The Crown intends to call 20 witnesses as part of its case against the three men.

 - Stuff

Ad Feedback
special offers
Ad Feedback