Wellington waterfront death 'not suspicious'

Last updated 12:10 01/12/2013

Relevant offers


Lambton Quay reopened after army robot blows up suspicious package Elderly Lower Hutt burglary victim warmed by schoolchildren's donations 'No eureka moment' from Australian govt on deportation rules - Andrew Little Rural Hawke's Bay community's CCTV initiative helps nab thieves Invercargill Night 'n Day stores targeted by robbers Shellfish ring busted in the Bay of Plenty 'Tindall-gate' case could have implications for Wikileaks, downloaders and hackers Nine-year-old girl in hospital after hit and run in Christchurch ‘Public service’ in robbery of Christchurch tinny house Eight firearms found in Stratford Black Power pad

Police believe the death of a woman found in Wellington Harbour last night was not suspicious.

Central communications shift manager Paul Jermy said detectives investigating the incident had "a strong indication" of the women's identity.

Police had contacted who they believed were her relatives, who lived out of Wellington, the inspector said.

"We haven't been able to confirm her identity yet, but we also don't believe it's suspicious."

Police appealed for sightings of a woman, described as European, aged in her mid 30s, after a body was found in Wellington Harbour last night.

She was wearing a dark-coloured sweatshirt, black leggings with a red and black backpack and had been in the Wellington area since November 21.

Acting Detective Sergeant Caroline Martin said police were contacted by a member of the public who came across the body in the water near the East by West ferry terminal at about 8pm.

Ad Feedback

- Fairfax Media

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content