Corrupt cop report delayed

SENTENCED: Gordon Meyer
SENTENCED: Gordon Meyer

Police are stalling releasing a report which they claim details "issues" at the Christchurch station where corrupt police officer Gordon Stanley Meyer worked.

Meyer, 45, will be sentenced on December 19 after admitting bribery and corruption and indecent assault.

Police national headquarters said remedial actions had been taken at the Christchurch South police station as a result of the review, which ran alongside the investigation into Meyer's sexual exploits while on the job.

The Police Association has challenged the claim, with president Greg O'Connor saying his understanding was the report highlighted no problems at the station. The Press has requested a copy of the report under the Official Information Act.

Police said this week they required until January 23 to "provide a substantive response".

"Consultations necessary to make a decision on the request are such that a proper response to this request cannot reasonably be made within the original time limit," police said.

After Meyer's offending became public, police said, "In the light of the complaints received against the officer concerned, it was deemed appropriate that alongside the criminal investigation there should also be a review of all aspects of operations and leadership at Christchurch South police station".

The review, carried out by a senior investigator from outside the district, highlighted some issues. Several remedial actions were taken to address the matters.

Police later contacted The Press saying subsequent staffing changes at the station were unrelated to the report findings.

Meyer agreed to accept an offer of oral sex to stop investigating a 23-year-old woman for drink driving in September 2011. The former senior constable later turned up at the house where she was but she did not go out to meet him.

Meyer also grabbed an 18-year-old woman's breasts and put her hand on his groin while giving her a ride in a patrol vehicle in April 2011.

An earlier complaint was made against Meyer, in 2007 but an investigation found insufficient evidence to prosecute. He was not warned, nor were his supervisors at the station informed about the earlier complaint.

No other officers were found to be aware of Meyer's offending, however one was subject to disciplinary proceedings for once going with Meyer to meet young women at a pub in a patrol car.

Fairfax Media