Bail for teen accused of bashing backpackers

Last updated 14:11 31/12/2013

Related Links

Fifth teen charged in attack on tourists

Relevant offers

Crime

86-year-old woman terrified after house blasted with shotgun fire Daughter of murdered road worker George Taiaroa says thoughts of his final moments haunt her Flashback: A singer who incited a riot but really didn't Rapist Mateo Nixon has sentence reduced after autism argument Investigator not told to continue prosecuting at-risk woman Police bugs hear Christchurch criminals laugh at risk of jail Vandals strike at north Taranaki marae Police apply to strip Christchurch crime family of $2.1m in assets Palmerston North man jailed but dog he used to assault someone looks set to escape death Fake cash discovered in Palmerston North and Whanganui

One of five teenagers accused of attacking two German backpackers has been granted bail but is not allowed into Whakatane, where the attack occurred.

Four males, aged 14, 15, 17 and 18, and a female, 15, appeared in the Whakatane District Court today. They are jointly charged with aggravated robbery of the young German couple on Boxing Day.

The 18-year-old accused was granted bail on strict conditions, one of which requires him to remain outside of Whakatane.

The 17-year-old was remanded in custody and the others were remanded in the custody of Child, Youth and Family.

The group will next appear in court on January 17.

Name suppression remains in place.

Police yesterday said the victims, an 18-year-old woman and a 19-year-old man, had shown "tremendous fortitude" to bounce back from the ordeal.

More than 200 emails from around New Zealand, offering support, accommodation and gifts, had been received by police investigating the assault, which occurred while the pair were in a tent freedom camping.

The tourists were now with friends in the Bay of Plenty, police said.

Ad Feedback

- Fairfax Media

Special offers

Featured Promotions

Sponsored Content