A suspected meth lab explosion has hospitalised two people with serious burns.
Emergency services arrived at a burning shed on a rural Northland property just after 7.30pm tonight. A car had also caught alight.
The pair were flown to Middlemore Hospital by helicopter. Details of their condition were not yet available, Northland Police said.
The fiery explosion appeared to be caused by an accident at a secret lab manufacturing methamphetamine, a Class A drug.
Toxic, explosive and highly flammable chemicals are used in the manufacture of meth. Exposure to such chemicals can cause convulsions, shortness of breath, pain and nausea.
Emergency workers and neighbours who came to the explosion at Pakotai near Whangarei were decontaminated.
A police forensic team will test the property to confirm if it was a meth lab.
- © Fairfax NZ News